Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Most Hated Family in America

I can't believe this! Below is a BBC Documentary by Louis Theroux: The Most Hated Family in America. I don't even remember how I surfed into these video clips. The news regarding Westboro Baptist Church and their mission may be old news to some, but it's definitely new to me. You might as well watch the clips below to understand why they may have been labeled the "most hated family in America". They hate America, they thank God for 911, they thank God for the dieing troops, they thank God for the tragedy in New Orleans. Its crazy.

The first clip is an interview by Hannity and Colmes. It's short but you'll get the general gist of things. (For 5 Talbot: search Hannity and Colmes interview with Shirley Phelps)




This second clip is a lot longer, it made me sick to my stomach, so I haven't finished watching it.
Anyways, this is the BBC documentary.



So, at first this just made me feel sick to my stomach... I couldn't believe how disrespectful they were. It then reminded me of a Tim Keller sermon that Brady and Kristen gave us on our honeymoon. The sermon was on the importance of community. One thought that stuck out to me was the importance of telling the truth to others, but without love it's nothing. I've humbly tried to implement this in my life--at work, with friends, and especially with Vincent. I often have discovered that I am lazy in how I tell people the truth. And undeniably, I know how it feels to be told the truth without love. But you can tell if that person was doing it in a loving way or not...and you either accept it or you are hurt. I can be pretty harsh when I tell Vincent he is in the wrong, forgetting to love him while telling him so. It hits home when I think of God's love for me. In sanctifying me, He has never molded me with hate or laziness, but with love.

No comments: