Monday, January 29, 2007

Adopting Foster Children

My co-worker, Emily and I had another opportunity to set up a booth for MCC at New City’s Ministry Fair. Therefore, promoting foster care and adoption is fresh on my mind…it should always be second nature to me, as it is my job, but nonetheless I don’t advocate for these children as often as I should.

According to the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, 513,000 children are in foster care in the U.S.. Majority of these children were placed in the welfare system as foster children due to abuse and neglect (sexually, emotionally and physically). About a quarter of them are waiting to be adopted, however due to the fact that they are not infants and on average 9yrs of age or come with emotional baggage or fight to be placed with their siblings…they are more difficult to find homes for. Believe me, when I get a call from DFCS asking to take a child over 8yrs old, I think to myself that they are asking the impossible. The sad fact is, this year alone, 1 out of 5 kids will turn 18, and will ‘graduate’ from the welfare system with out a family. No home to go back to on school breaks (that is, if they go), no family to be there on their wedding day…well, you get the point.

Vincent stated yesterday that I’m asking a lot out of families to be foster parents. I know I am, but the fact is, a) we are called to help the orphans (James 1:27), b) many of us are willing to go on short term mission trips for a year to two years over seas. How about serving God, in the comfort of your own home? Majority of the children are in foster care for the same amount of time. c) within the 50mile radius of where I live, if one family, out of one church takes in a child, we would have found a home for every child in foster care in the state of GA. d) “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in My name, welcomes Me…” Mark 9:37.


I realize that we are not all called to be foster/adoptive parents, but there are other ways to help. So if anyone is curious, let me know, I’ll fill ya in.

Also, if you have time, check out the video from Dave Thomas Foundation. It is a promotional video so it can be seen as impersonal, but I work with/for these children…they are my ‘reality’: I claim it’s message to be personal.


Alright, alright back to work…



2 comments:

Sienna said...

thank you for sharing this Kiko.. i watched the movie and then kyrie heard it from the bathroom and she was pulled in... It's really good to be informed. So often I just walk around so freakin' unaware of the turmoil around me and just caught up in my own stupid troubles...stressed out with school and work and people around me.

it's good to get perspective... and now I want a foster child... (once i get married.. that is :)

thanks kiko. be sure blog about this again.

Kiko and/or Vincent said...

Sienna: you can foster even if you are not married:)

Furthermore, even if you don't want to commit to foster care, we are looking for respite homes...which is like 'babysitting' children as we need immediate homes, while we are in search of long term homes... :)